Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Assignment 2: Sections 1.1 - 1.3

Difficult: The most difficult part of the material for me was the concept behind the Theorem involving d = au + bv. I have learned this theorem before (as well as the others in the chapter), but the concept is still hard for me to grasp. I know that it is true, and I know how to prove it, but I struggle understanding why it is true in my brain. I need to think about it more and let it sit in my head to understand it better. The other part of the section that was difficult for me was the amount of theorems in it. The proofs were easy to follow, but I hope to be able to remember all of the theorems and all of the proofs.

Reflective: I am fascinated by prime numbers. I have been interested in them for a while. Section 1.3 was very interesting to me because it laid out various characteristics of prime numbers. I think it is interesting to note that the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is the fact that integers are products of prime numbers. I don't know why, but the theorems regarding prime numbers are profound to me. I think that the fact that prime numbers have special features and characteristics is very interesting, and every time I read about prime numbers I want to learn more about them. I like understanding the characteristics and character of the number systems so that I can better explain them and help other people to understand them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment