Thursday, September 24, 2009

Assignment 11: Section 4.1

Difficult: This section, in general, was very difficult for me to understand. I could follow most of it, but since there were few examples, I couldn't picture what was happening. Thus, my understanding of F[x] is still greatly limited. I think I need to explore simple examples to understand the proofs. The hardest part was the proof of the Division Algorithm for polynomials in R[x]. I don't understand why it works. Hopefully we review it better in class.

Reflective: This new concept of polynomials with coefficients in R and x= some element in a greater ring P but not in R is new and intriguing. I don't understand why we are studying it, but I hope that more understanding comes with time. It is interesting to think about what x actually means. I imagine that this "mystery" about x is confusing to many students when they first learn algebra and symbolic manipulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment