Monday, November 16, 2009

Section 7.8

Difficult: I can see the correlation between rings and groups, but some of the theorems were hard to simply accept because the book did not provide a proof. I would like to see a proof for Theorem 7.41. The first and third isomorphism theorems were okay to understand, but a little difficult because it is easy to forget what each group represents. It would be helpful to go over this in class.

Relfective: It is interesting that simple groups are really the key to classifying all groups. I never would have thought that simple groups would be the defining characteristics of groups and their structure! It is also interesting that so many of the theorems regarding rings have some kind of parallel application to groups. Where does this all go, though? We classify all the groups, but how does that help us get somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment