Thursday, October 15, 2009

Remaining Section 6.2

Difficult: The hardest part of this section for me to understand was the first isomorphism theorem. I was struggling to follow all of the new terminology before, but when I got to this theorem, I got lost. I think the hard part for me is not being able to "visualize" the theorem or the concepts discussed in 6.2. It would be helpful for me to see examples of the theorems in order to understand more fully what they mean. The idea of a "quotient ring" is also difficult for me to comprehend, partly because I still struggle with the idea of taking a ring R modulo I.

Reflective: Although this section is really abstract and hard for me to understand, it is bringing back ideas from Linear Algebra. The idea of a kernel makes more sense to me now, and it is interesting to think about the influence of an isomorphism on two rings. It is really amazing that by constructing an isomorphism between a quotient ring and a homomorphic image of a ring, we can understand a little bit better about the structure of quotient rings, especially ones that we have seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment